The Course for the Diploma in Engineering shall extend over a period of three academic years, consisting of 6 semesters, as detailed below:
The subjects of study shall be in accordance with the syllabus prescribed from time to time, both in theory and practical by Board of Studies & Examinations, DOTE, Chennai.
The Examinations shall be conducted at the end of each semester by the State Board of Technical Education & Training, Madras. A candidate will be permitted to appear for the Board‟s Examination for a subject only if, He/she secures 80% of attendance in the subject concerned.
Board Examinations in all subjects of all the semesters under the scheme of examinations will be conducted at the end of each semester. The sessional marks in all the subjects will be awarded on the basis of continuous internal assessment made during the concerned semester. For each subject 25 marks are allotted for internal assessment and 75 marks are allotted for Board Examination.
Continuous Internal assessment is done for a total of 25 marks which are to be distributed as follows:
Attendance 5 Marks Directorate of Technical Education, Chennai has established an "e-governance cell" to enforce certain uniformity among all polytechnic colleges. It decides the number of working days per semester. Cumulative attendance of students is sent online every month. Monthly attendance is entered in the e-governance portal every month. It also issues hall tickets for eligible candidates with 80% attendance per semester. No student can claim any change in the attendance (or) mark entries once they are entered in the internet. (Website - www.intradote.nic.in)
2 Tests each of 2 hours duration for a total of 50 marks are to be conducted out of which the best one will be taken and the marks to be reduced to : 05 marks The 3 Test is to be the Model test covering all the five units and the marks so obtained will be reduced to : 05 marks Assignment and Seminar 10 marks
For each subject three Assignments are to be given in a semester and the average marks scored in the assignments should be reduced to 10 marks. For practical, the internal assessment marks to be given is as follows:-
The Record for every completed exercise should be submitted in the subsequent Practical classes and marks should be allotted for 20 for each exercise as per above allocation.
At the end of the Semester the average of all marks for all exercises should be calculated for 20 marks and 5 marks for attendance as per allocation is to be added.
1. No candidate shall be eligible for the award of Diploma unless he/she has undergone the prescribed course of study sucessfully in an institution approved by AICTE and affiliated to the State Board of Technical Education & Training, Tamil Nadu.
2. A candidate shall be declared to have passed the examination in a subject if he/she secures not less than 40% in theory subject and 50% in practical subject in the Board Examination out of the total prescribed maximum marks including the sessional and Board Examination marks put together.
3. For a pass in theory subject including Drawing a candidate should secure a minimum of 30 marks out of the maximum examination marks of 75 in Board Examination.
4. For a pass in practical subject a candidate should secure a minimum of 35 marks out of the maximum examination marks of 75 in Board Examination.
5. Classification of successful candidates
i) First Class with Distinction
A candidate will be declared to have passed in First Class with Distinction if he/she secures not less than 75% of the aggregate marks in all semesters put together, except I and II Semesters and passes all the above semesters in the first appearance itself and completes all papers including that of I & II Semesters within the stipulated period of 3 years, without any break.
ii) First Class
A candidate will be declared to have passed in First Class if he/she secures not less than 60% of the aggregate marks in all semesters put together, except I & II Semesters and completes all papers including that of I & II Semesters within the stipulated period of 3 years, without any break.
iii) Second Class
All other successful candidates will be declared to have passed in Second Class.